Friday, April 27, 2007

Indian Spiced Chicken: Real Simple


So, Wednesday night, I made this recipe from Real Simple magazine.

Mmmmm. Now don't get me wrong, we really enjoyed it on Wednesday night, but it was even better Thursday at lunch. It's one of those recipes. (Which kinda surprised me, because those recipes, in my experience, usually involve tomatoes, and this didn't.)

I'm certainly going to make it again, but next time I think I'll add a bit more liquid. There was enough to cook everything (including the rice), but the dish wasn't saucy at all, and I think it'd be better if it was. The flavors, however, I don't think can be improved upon.

Oh, except for the one improvement I already made. :D I substituted cut-up dried apricots for the golden raisins, and I think it was a good move.

So, this one? I recommend. Also, with the phyllo dough topping, it looks very impressive at the table. It'd be a good company dish, if you're looking for one.

Also, don't give into the temptation to leave out ingrediants. This is a slightly expensive dish, with the toasted almonds and all, but the toasted almonds, phyllo dough and apricots really make it something special. Personally, I toasted my own almonds (bought cheap at our ranch market) and discovered, after buying the phyllo dough, that the package contained enough to make this dish six or seven times over. And I'm pretty sure that, like pie crust, you can freeze phyllo dough to use later. So I did, and I think that makes this a much more reasonably priced meal. Especially if you buy your chicken on sale. :D

-Jess


alterations:
-I cut the chicken up in smaller pieces than the recipe asked for.
-Apricots for raisins, as mentioned above.
-I tried a Cooking Light trick of spraying the phyllo dough with cooking spray, rather than brushing it with butter. Next time, I'm just going to go with the butter. I wasn't impressed with the slightly burned flavor that the cooking spray gave the dough.

No comments: