Sunday, March 25, 2007

Menu Plan Monday

See other great menus here, at the Organizing Junkie.

At this blog, I cook and photograph recipes from magazines (and occasionally cookbooks) to share how they turn out and whether they're actually as delicious as they look in print. (Amazingly, they usually are.) You can take a peek at the earlier posts for some of my earlier experiments. So here's what's cooking this week:

Monday: African Chicken in Spicy Red Sauce with rice and honeydew

Tuesday: Tomato-Joe Soup with oatmeal muffins and cantelope

Wednesday: Creamy Chicken and Noodles and grapes

Thursday: Basil-Broccoli Tart and Asian pears

Friday: dinner out

Saturday: something from the freezer and roasted broccoli



Hmm, all about chicken, broccoli and tomatoes this week! I'll let you know how things turn out!

-Jessica

p.s. Disclaimer: not everything I make is from a magazine of course - for examples, the Basil-Broccoli Tart is a recipe from LeAnn Ely's Menu Mailer (we got her vegetarian version once upon a Lent) and the Creamy Chicken and Noodles is a Better Homes and Gardens Red Plaid Cookbook crockpot recipe. But I showcase the ones here that are from magazines - and occasionally from elsewhere. I'm almost always pleased with how recipes from magazines turn out - they must have some amazing test kitchens! Wouldn't it be fun to peek in there sometime?

Anyway, what I like is that I can cook something new, with a reasonable expectation of it turning out well. And what I really like is being introduced to new ingredients, or being taught new techniques with ingredients I already use, so that I can get more and more comfortable making my own alterations, or even inventing whole new recipes. Following magazine recipes - so often accompanied with interesting commentary - feels like cooking school on the cheap!

(And no, I'm not associated with any of the magazines I link to - just a fan!)

8 comments:

Terri | Sugar Free Glow said...

I don't think I've tried any of the recipes from Real Simple but I'll have to give them a second look. Thanks for sharing your recipes and I agree, magazine recipes are usually great!

Blessings~

Annie said...

I make brocolli a lot! but have never 'roasted' it. How do you roast it?
Your menu looks great!
blessings~
Annie
My Life as Annie!

Melissa @ Banana Migraine said...

The basil broccoli tart sounds very good!

Unknown said...

Those all sound really good!!!! Have a great week!

PS: The Peanut butter rice krispy treats are easy..just add 2 or 3 teaspoons of PB to the marshmallows as they melt.

Robin Green said...

Sounds like a wonderful week of meals at your house! Have a great one.

Laura said...

Hi Jessica, I think that is why I love the Taste of Home magazine collections so much. Everything almost always turns out for me...which is saying a lot believe me :)

Have a wonderful week!

Laura

Sharijoy said...

Good for you... I OFTEN... maybe too often try NEW recipes and mostly THEY never turn out but i think it has something to do with the COOK!!! BUT I keep trying!! chicken sounds sooooooo good too!! take care have a great week!

The 4 Sullivans said...

How was the tomatoe soup? Sounds yummie!