Thursday, March 15, 2007

Orange Chicken: Cooking Light

Tonight, I made this Orange Chicken recipe from Cooking Light. This is actually one of their "reader recipes", sent in by reader Deborah Eckroat.



Immediate plus? Short ingredient list. Second immediate plus? Getting to pound chicken flat with my husband's rubber mallet! (And he bought it thinking it'd be used for carpentry - ha!)



The above picture is the orange sauce (just orange juice and white wine) simmering itself away into a reduction. The sauce is to be poured over the dredged, cooked and sliced chicken meat:



Verdict? Very yummy. Even approved by my greasy-takeout-orange-chicken-loving husband. (I pulled this recipe out because I knew he liked the flavors in it.)

Next time I make it, I think I'll toss the chicken slices with the sauce, instead of serving the sauce alongside to be poured over the chicken slices. But certainly repeatable.

-Jess

Alterations:
-I used chicken thighs rather than chicken breasts. What can I say? They're cheaper.
-I used canola oil instead of the olive oil and butter because I was, um, out of olive oil and unfrozen butter. (Last of the soft butter went into the rice I was cooking to go with the chicken.)
-I doubled the amount of sauce; probably a wise decision, though it did leave us with more sauce than chicken.

No comments: