Sunday, June 17, 2007

Menu Plan Monday

I really wanted to make spaghetti this week. Just plain, ol' ground beef and tomato sauce spaghetti. I was looking and looking through my cookbooks for a recipe, and finding very creative, wonderful things to do with spaghetti noodles and tomatoes, but no basic, no-frills recipe, until I looked at my Klutz Kids Cookbook, and found the recipe I learned on as a kid. Woo-hoo! "Ready Spaghetti" to the rescue! :D Isn't it funny how these things work sometimes?

I'm curious about how the brats in beer sauce will turn out . . . I found bratwurst on sale and had no idea what to do with it. I'd just serve it with sourkraut, but my husband hates sourkraut (why? why?), so that was out. Brats 'n' beer, here we come!

Then on Thursday, we're jumping into sophistication with a snazzy-looking recipe from Cooking Light - I feel like I'm all over the place on this week's menu. Check back to see how it all turns out! I'll be posting pictures and results all through the week.


Monday: Bratwurst in Beer Sauce
Tuesday: freezer meal
Wednesday: Ready Spaghetti
Thursday: Sesame Brown Rice with Shredded Chicken and Peanuts
Friday: Pumpkin Bean Soup with corn muffins
Saturday: bean burritos!


Here's the recipe for the Pumpkin Soup, which my notes say I got from Better Homes and Gardens. I can't find the recipe on their site though, so here it is:

-15 oz. can pumpkin
-14 oz. can coconut milk
-15 oz. can cannellini beans, drained
-14 oz. can chicken broth
-1 tsp. dried sage
-salt and ground black pepper
-fresh lime slices

1) In medium saucepan, combine pumpkin, coconut milk, beans, broth and sage. Heat through.
2) Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve and drizzle with lime. Serves 4.

You have to like the ingredients in it to like this soup, but we like it very much indeed. And it's a cinch to make and pretty healthy. And surprisingly tasty. Don't forget the limes though.

For more great menus, check out Org Junkie!

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

6 comments:

Disney for Boys said...

Great menu!!! Your soup sounds great!

Anonymous said...

my husband LOVES bratwurst and would love that recipe!! Your week sounds really yummy.

A Juggling Mum said...

Great menu,

Have a good week :)

Rachel xxx
http://jugglingmum.blogspot.com

Joyful Days said...

That pumpkin soup sounds like I would like it. Great menu.

Stephanie said...

Great menu -- the Sesame Brown Rice sounds great! My family loves that flavor combo, so we'll have to give it a try.

http://booksflowers.wordpress.com/2007/06/18/menu-plan-monday-2/

Christi said...

Your menu sounds yummy - especially the pumpkin soup.

Have a great week!