Sunday, May 27, 2007

Menu Plan Monday: Chickpea-Potato Curry

So, my husband told me I'm a "spice cook" - that I choose to cook things based on the spices in the recipe. And tonight, I got confirmation of that. I had Emily over, and cooked her a curry (which she liked - thanks, Em!), and when she asked me what was in it, my answer was something along the lines of "Well, there's potatoes and chickpeas and onions . . . and then there's jalapenos, ginger, garlic, cilantro, coriander, garam masala, curry powder . . ." yep. The recipe was mostly spices.

Therefore, following this menu is the recipe for my chickpea-potato curry. I got the basic recipe out of "the best ever Indian" cookbook, but I tweaked it. And here's the menu:

Monday: Spinach-Cheese Bake and blueberry muffins
Tuesday: freezer meal
Wednesday: Black Beans and Rice
Thursday: Chickpea-Potato Curry
Friday: dinner at folks'
Saturday: huevos rancheros tostadoes

For more menus, visit Org Junkie. And now, the Chickpea/Potato Curry:

-4 T. vegetable Oil
-2 onions, sliced in half rings
-2-3 t. minced fresh gingerroot
-1-2 t. curry powder, to taste
-1-2 t. garam masala, to taste
-1 t. powdered coriander
-2 jalapenos, seeded and minced.
-1/4 c. minced fresh cilantro
-2/3 c. water, more as needed
-2-3 potatoes, diced
-1 can chickpeas, drained
-salt, to taste

1) Heat oil over med-high heat, add onions, and saute till golden. Reduce heat to med-low, and add the ginger, curry, garam masala, coriander, jalapenos and cilantro. Stir-fry for 2-4 minutes.
2) Add 2/3 cup water to pot and stir to mix.
3) Add potatoes and chickpeas to pan. Cover and let simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Add more water as needed, to make curry saucey.
4) When potatoes are tender, turn off burner, and serve hot. (Being careful, 'cause, um, it's hot!)

As always, check back here to see how the recipes turn out! (And check out last week's yumminess.)

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

yum! Those tostadas sound really good--love the pea tart recipe you posted also!

An Ordinary Mom said...

I enjoy curry dishes so I will need to check out your links.

Have a great week!

Sandra said...

Your menu sounds wonderful, thanks for sharing.

♥Sandra♥

Menu Plan

Jennifer said...

Sounds like some good eatin' on the menu!

Have a wonderful week!

Renee said...

Your meal plan looks great and I love curry! Going to try that recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Amber said...

Wow - All of your dished sound wonderfully gourmet. I bet they are just delicious!

Have a great day!