Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Sausage, Apple, and Cheddar Bread Pudding: Cooking Light


It's not a casserole folks, it's a bread pudding. Doesn't that make you feel delightfully snobby? :D

So, last night I made this recipe from Cooking Light. I'd like to make a declaration of alteration: if it's a Cooking Light recipe, unless I say otherwise, I am always substituting real eggs for the egg substitute, I am using regular, full-fat cheddar cheese, and I'm using skim milk in place of whatever variety they needed to get their calorie count right. There.

Declaration done, on to the review! This is yummy. This is very yummy. This is also something you should make soon, as the ingredient list simply smacks of fall, and while you might get away with it in the cloudy early spring, this is definitely not a dish for the dog days of summer.

I know it looks like it doesn't use a lot of cheese, and it doesn't, but with all the other rich and taste-heavy ingredients (sausage, onion, green apple, egg), you really don't need to add extra. It's fine with the amount they suggest.

You could probably alter this recipe pretty easily - use different kinds of bread or cheese or meat or veggies, and get some really good original dishes. Taco Bread Pudding? Ham Mushroom Asparagus Bread Pudding? I can see a lot of possibilities.

Also? This doubles really easily.

-Jessica

alterations, those listed above plus:
-I used hot Italian sausage, and accidentally about doubled the amount. A happy accident, I'd say.
-I used a bit more sourdough bread than called for, just because of how big the loaves I bought were. It turned out fine. I think this recipe is fairly elastic.

No comments: