Thursday, May 24, 2007

Spring Pea Tarts: Vegetarian Times


Yesterday I made these tarts from Vegetarian Times. They turned out really well - but my daughter wouldn't eat hers.

These mix cooked spinach and peas with Neufchatel (cream) cheese and some other flavorings for the filling, and you put them in shells assembled from puff pastry. The puff pastry's on the pricey side, and I think you could make something very similar just by hollowing out some rolls in place of the tart crust. The filling is certainly worth making again, and both my husband and I think it'd make a good dip. I could see it as a sandwich spread too.

It is a pretty rich filling, for all that it's mostly vegetables, and in the middle of the tart I wished for a little more crust to balance out the richness. But overall, an excellent recipe. And very pretty.

(Blogger's giving me grief, so for a link to the recipe, please see my previous "Menu Plan Monday" post. I'll see if I can edit the link in later.)

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica

alterations:
-I used frozen rather than fresh spinach, and so possibly a little more than was called for. But as it was all just pureed, I don't think it made a difference.

No comments: