Sunday, May 20, 2007

Menu Plan Monday

Monday: Not Your Mother's Chicken Soup
Tuesday: freezer meal
Wednesday: Spring Pea Tarts
Thursday: Easy Chicken Adobo with rice
Friday: dinner at folks'
Saturday: Tomato & Cheese Strata

This is a week full of experiments! I don't think I've made any of the above-linked recipes before. Check back later in the week to see how they turn out; and take a peek at the archives for past experiments - and maybe to get some ideas for your next menu or two. :D

I'm pretty sure Saturday's recipe, for Tomato and Cheese Strata, comes from Womans Day, but I can't find a link for it, so here's the recipe:

-10 slices white sandwich bread
-4 tomatoes cut in 1/2-inch-thick slices
-1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 oz.)
-4 scallions, trimmed and sliced
-4 large eggs
-2 cups milk
-1/2 tsp. salt

1) Lightly grease an 8 inch square baking dish.
2) Place four slices bread over bottom of dish. Arrange half the tomatoes, cheese and scallions on top. Cover with remaining 6 slices bread (overlapping) and rest of the tomatoes, cheese and scallions.
3) Whisk eggs in a large bowl to mix yolks and whites. Add milk and salt; whisk until blended. Pour over bread, cover and refrigerate at least two hours or up to 24 hours.
4) Heat oven to 350 degrees. Uncover and bake strata 40-45 minutes until puffed and golden, and a narrow knife inserted near center comes out clean.


The recipe notes that a) this is a good one to make ahead of time, b) bread that's stale works fine in this recipe and c) the tomatoes should be cored. But, frankly, I don't hold with coring tomatoes, so I say take all the advice but the last. :D

Check out Laura at Organizing Junkie for more great menus!

peace of Christ to you,
Jessica Snell

7 comments:

Aisling said...

Can't do that strata thing in our house, 2 kids who absolutely REFUSE to eat eggs. At 15 and 12 years old, I can't even pay them to eat them.

Anonymous said...

The Chicken soup look syummy! Thanks for sharing!


MJ

Annie said...

The chicken soup sounds really interesting. My hub loves sweet potatoes, but I've never been a fan. I may try that one out for myself though!
Your menu looks delicious.
Happy Monday!

annie
My Life as Annie!

Sandra said...

Looks great, thank you for sharing :)

♥Sandra♥
Menu Plan

Anonymous said...

your menu look scrumptious!

Jenn said...

I ♥ to try new recipes, too, it never gets old. hehe Have an adventurous week!

Jenn

Jennifer said...

Gotta love the trying of new recipes! Your menu looks great!